Thursday, November 18, 2010

Babyproofing Christmas


As the exciting Christmas season is approaching, I'm finding myself worried about all my 'precious' Christmas decorations. So, here are a few of the things I'm planing to do to baby proof Christmas!


The Tree
Obviously we need to talk about the tree. I've had a couple people tell me to just not put a tree up! But, I'm the crazy lady with 3 Christmas trees. I can't just NOT have a tree! Our main tree is in the family room and in Christmas' past I had it loaded up with glass ornaments and fun berry sprigs. (I tried to find a picture from last year but I only blogged/took pictures about baby stuff then...awesome.) So here is my game plan:
  • Put up the tree
  • Use shatterproof ornaments on most of the tree and all the lower portion
  • Use ribbon instead of ornament hangers on the lower portion (maybe all of it)
  • For our 'special' ornaments, keep them up high so she can't reach them.
  • Either wait until Christmas Eve to put the gifts out or put them under the tree in the front living room. (Addie doesn't really go in there)
I've also heard of people putting the tree up inside of their pack n play/play yard and this would also prevent little ones from getting into the gifts. Also, if you have a modular baby gate/fence you could put it around the tree for the same effect.

Breakables
We have a few breakable things I like to set out. Usually these are the nativity scenes and a couple snow globes. This will probably be the last year I will use these for a while. But here are some ideas I have for the future:

  • Have you seen the Little People nativity? It may not be as beautiful or elegant as the ceramic ones you can find but it is cute and child friendly. This is also a wonderful tool to teach your little ones about the Christmas Story. Playmobil and plush options are also available!
  • I usually put Christmas stuff all over the house...but I think I will simplify once Addie is walking around. I'll use decorative pillows, plush snowmen, etc. to create a fun and child friendly atmosphere. After all, I don't want to have her remember Christmas as the time she heard 'No, don't touch that' over and over.

What have you done in the past to baby proof Christmas? What worked and what was a total flop?


No comments: